Many executives and business leaders as well as entrepreneurs get a business coach to drive them further and ensure they stay the course through the investable peaks and troughs of a career or business life. Enter today’s guest Karen Stein, a professional Certified Executive Coach who is passionate about supporting leaders to be their best selves.
She has over 30 years’ experience working in the fast-paced world of professional services, with 23 years as a Partner of Deloitte one the Big 4 firms, as we call them in Australia and brings a depth of understanding to the challenges that leaders face. With over 2000 one-on-one coaching hours, Karen has found that important intersection of coaching psychology and real-world experience, which enhances her offering. She is also a volunteer coach for clients of Dress for Success and worked with the social enterprise, Bambuddha Group.
Karen has authored a book chapter on Mental Toughness, in Coaching for Self Awareness About Attitude and Mindset, and in June 2023 she published her first book Be your own leadership coach - self-coaching strategies to lead your way. That is our topic for this episode.
Her ultimate aim is to have a positive leadership impact which is longstanding in my absence.
We cover in our podcast chat:
1. What is self-coaching and why is it valuable for leaders to be able to do this?
2. How do you know if you’ve had the right kind of LASTING impact as a leader? Can you know this at the time very quickly or is it usually a retrospective thing, in your view? I have just heard a few former CEOS speak at the World Business Forum in Sydney including former Pepsi CEO Indra Nooyi who was full of reflection and candour because she no long wore that CEO and leadership hat.
3. The best leaders are often excellent speakers but also listen. How can you help your clients refine these skills to communicate more effectively inside and outside their organizations?
4. How does being kind manifest itself so one is not just liked and appreciated but can also command respect in a more grounded and realistic way?.
5. Takeaway: What is your final takeaway message for us on The Politics of Self-Coaching?
LinkedIn: (59) Karen Stein | LinkedIn
POE listener offer:
Zencastr is my podcast platform of choice. Use my special link (zen.ai/thepoliticsofeverything30 [http://zen.ai/thepoliticsofeverything30]) and use code "THEPOLITICSOFEVERYTHING" to save 30% off your first three months of Zencastr professional. #madeonzencastr