Cultivated meat has the potential to disrupt the meat industry, and engineer Dr. Katie Kam joins the podcast to talk about it. Katie founded BioBQ, her startup that’s developing cultivated beef brisket. She explains how cultivated meat – also known as “cultured meat” or “lab meat” – is real meat that avoids animal slaughter by being grown in a bioreactor. Katie discusses her motivation for her work at BioBQ, including her Texas roots, love of barbecue, interest in ecology, and being vegan. She also highlights partnerships with the cattle industry, investors, and many different fields in science and engineering.
Related to this episode:
• BioBQ: https://www.biobqing.com/
• “Cultivated meat bioprocess design” article: https://gfi.org/science/the-science-of-cultivated-meat/deep-dive-cultivated-meat-bioprocess-design/
• “Eat Just to Open Asia’s Largest Cultivated Meat Facility in 2023”: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-10/eat-just-to-open-asia-s-largest-cultivated-meat-facility-in-2023
• “Upside’s cell-cultured chicken is first to receive FDA blessing for its production method”: https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/16/upside-foods-cell-cultured-meat-fda/
• Good Food Institute (GFI): https://gfi.org/
• New Harvest: https://new-harvest.org/
• IndieBio incubator in San Francisco: https://indiebio.co/
Subscribe and find podcast updates at: http://www.k12engineering.net. Support Pios Labs with regular donations on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/pioslabs. You’ll also be supporting projects like the Engineer’s Guide to Improv and Art Games, The Calculator Gator, or Chordinates! Thanks to our donors and listeners for making the show possible. The K12 Engineering Education Podcast is a production of Pios Labs: http://www.pioslabs.com.
Music by timouse under a Creative Commons Attribution License.